Bell Island Arena History
In late 1912 a skating rink was built in Wabana and opened in February 1913. In January 1928, the Wabana Rink reopened under new management and a three-team hockey series (East, Central and West teams) took place in February of that year. The Bell Island Arena was a natural ice surface until about 1951. The Wabana Mining Co. installed artificial ice in the Bell Island Arena prior to March 1951 (source: p. 6, The Western Star, March 9, 1951). "The Arena" was operated until the end of the 1955-56 season.
A new arena was constructed and officially opened on March 4, 1957 just before the opening game of the 1957 East Semi-Finals between the Bell Island Bees and the St.John's Capitals. The arena was named as a memorial to the late Monsignor George F. Bartlett who was played a key role in organizing sports on Bell Island and was instrumental in starting construction of the new arena before his death on September 22, 1956.
Monsignor Bartlett Memorial Arena ca. 2010