John was known by many as the "father of hockey in Gander". He played on the first all-star team in 1946 and was a member of every Gander team for the next 14 years when he transferred to New York. His brother Frank (Fa) played with him on the Gander team in the early fifties.
He was President of the Gander Hockey Association in 1955-56 and 1956-57 and served as Central Vice-President of The Newfoundland Amateur Hockey Association.
On April 9, 1960 at the Gander Gardens there was a tribute to John and his family for his valuable contribution to Hockey in Gander.