Lewisporte Arena History
The current Lewisporte Stadium was officially opened October 18, 1973. A major renovation was completed in 2008 and the stadium was re-opened for the 2008-09 season. The official re-opening was on April 27, 2009.
History of the Lewisporte Stadium [source: Brad Perry article in The Pilot - May 6, 2009]
- "Prior to 1956-1958 there was an outdoor rink on Council Road.
- Mid-1950s Discussions between the Town of Lewisporte and the Lions Club to construct a new stadium.
- 1958 There was an outdoor rink across from what is the Winter Games Lanes.
- Approximately 1960, this rink was moved to where the parking lot and men's ballfield are currently located.
- 1967-1968 Concrete slab was laid where stadium now sits.
- 1971 Construction began and a stadium committee was set-up. They purchased a Zamboni for $12,000, public address system and other necessities.
- 1972 Construction ended and Derek White was hired as stadium manager. The ice plant was installed and concrete floor was laid.
- 1973 Official opening of the Lewisporte Stadium and the first hockey and figure skating events began (October 18).
- 1987 Replaced concrete slab of ice surface
- 1989 Renovation to arena and construction of new dressing rooms and hospitality room.
- 1990 Lewisporte host the Newfoundland & Labrador Winter Games.
- 1994 Replaced ice making plant.
- 2006 Demolition of arena interior.
- 2008 Present arena re-opened.
- 2009 Official re-opening (April 27)."