Hockey for school-aged boys in Newfoundland started well before 1950 but the organization of minor hockey programs as we know them today didn't begin until the early 1950s. Grand Falls, Buchans, Bell Island, Gander, St. John's and Corner Brook were many of the first centers to develop minor hockey programs in the 1950s due to the strength of senior hockey in those areas and the resulting availability of experienced players who volunteered to organize and teach hockey to local children. Joe Byrne helped organize minor hockey in Grand Falls and then Bell Island in the fifties. Wes Trainor was hired by the Gander Hockey Association and in the late fifties re-organized Gander's minor hockey system. In the mid-fifties, Gus Soper played a key role in organizing minor hockey for Buchan's youth. Pee Wee hockey was organized in St. John's about 1955 after the opening of Memorial Stadium.
Prior to 1959, Minor hockey was played locally and there were no province-wide competitions. However, teams from St. John's and Corner Brook did play outside the province in the late 1950s. The St. John's Pee Wee All-Stars would represent Newfoundland in the Young Canada Week Pee Wee Hockey Tournament at Goderich, Ontario in 1956 and 1957.
The first all-Newfoundland tournament organized to decide a provincial minor hockey champion was a Pee Wee Tournament held in Corner Brook in April 1959. The teams competing were Corner Brook (2 teams), St. John's, Bell Island, Buchans and Deer Lake. The tournament was won by one of the Corner Brook teams who were awarded a trophy donated by West Coast Building Supplies to be awarded each year to the best Pee Wee team in the Province.
Bantam and Midget would have their first Provincial Championships in 1961 and 1964, respectively, followed by Atom in 1977.
Bell Island Pee Wee team at Corner Brook in 1959 (with coach Joe Byrne)